Skip to main content

Introducing Media Tea Leaves






Introducing Media Tea Leaves, a blog offering commentary and analysis of the advertising and marketing ecosystem and the implications for African American media companies, agencies and the  brands that need to connect with this consumer segment. 

Reading tea leaves, of course, is a mystical endeavor by which a highly intuitive individual can look at the tea leaves, or coffee grounds as it were, and divine the future.  It has a formal name: tasseography with the root etymology originating from French meaning cup.  In essence, it’s the study of cups – stretched.

The frequency of posts is undetermined at this time.  We will let events and issues in the marketplace assist with defining the topics and cadence.   The first article was a 10 point summary of the ANA Multicultural Marketing Conference held in Miami November 5-7th, 2017.  It was published on LinkedIn and reposted by my good friends at Moguldom.com

We will also, from time to time, invite guests to offer their two cents on topics that are germane to those of us who attempt to earn a living in this ecosystem.

You are welcome to share Media Tea Leaves as long as you do not change anything or misrepresent the authorship and maintain the links to its origin.  

Follow us on Twitter @Mediatealeaves

Comments

  1. Bravo! And thank you for this much needed initiative Deborah. Looking forward to reading and contributing insights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to reading your posts. Agree with Kevin McFall, much needed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2017 Year End Review

We thought we’d end the year with a brief round up of important events that took place that have potentially significant impact on the African American media and marketing ecosystem. Just as 2017 was beginning to wind down, at least three major events took place that potentially have enormous implications for the African American marketing ecosystem. The Future of Essence? On Monday, November 27 th,  Meredith, publishers of a host of general market heartland publications such as Better Homes & Gardens and Family Circle announced it was purchasing Time, Inc. for 1.8 billion in cash.  Ordinarily, this wouldn’t cause anyone to blink, except, one of the titles in the Time, Inc. portfolio is Essence Communications.  Essence Communications of course is the publisher of Essence magazine, the primary magazine for Black women and the trailblazing Essence Festival.  There has been a lot of discussion about which titles might be shuttered when Mer...

Media Tea Leaves 2018 Year-End Review

The Media Tea Leaves 2018 Year-End Review Yeah, I know it’s been a while since you’ve heard from Media Tea Leaves.  But since everybody was offering up their 2 Cents on the year, I thought why shouldn’t I contribute my 5 cents.  I thought it would be interesting to offer my POV on ad campaigns, media companies and the industry in general.  It’s not scientific, but it is based on what I have observed in the media that I consume.  Why is it important that I state that? Because I’m not in anybody’s demo.  I am consistently ignored and when not ignored, blatantly insulted.  So, let’s dive right in. My 5 cents on best commercials, most insulting, best corporate citizen, worst corporate citizen.  Other thoughts on best presentations, most inspiring story, the most hilarious tweet will appear in a separate post. Best ad campaigns or commercials for 2018. These are strictly my opinion and based on whether the message hit home and/or deliver...